Pages

Wednesday 3 June 2009

Wherryman's Way: what's your favourite stretch?


HUMPTY Dumpty brewery partner Stephen George has been in touch. It turns out he and his family have become big fans of the Wherryman's Way over the last few years. For him the best bit is the stretch between Loddon and Reedham. "I love walking over those country lanes coming down to the ferry," he writes.
Which got me thinking. What's your favourite spot? Breydon Water, Wheatfen or maybe the newly-restored Hardley Mill? For me, the best places also happen to be the most inaccessible. All those windmills in the middle of nowhere between Reedham and the Berney Arms for example. Or The Slaughters, hidden until Rockland Broad until low tide. But having toyed with the ruins of St Saviour's Church and all that history bound up in Reedham Ferry, I'm plumping for Hardley Flood (pictured). It's stunningly beautiful, especially at dusk, and yet there's never anyone else there.


2 comments:

  1. Great photo, Steve! I've just come across your blog having been alerted by fellow blogger Brian of narrowboat Harnser. And I was very surprised when I saw your book lying around at work a few weeks ago. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to play my cards close to my chest Halfie!

    ReplyDelete